I have been giving myself warm oil massages for a couple of years now.
At first, I thought it was a pain in the ass to do, but I felt amazing every time.
Then I started to see the benefits in multiple ways.
It is now an integral part of my self care routine, one I couldn’t go without.
So what is an oil massage? (Abhyanga)
It is when you massage warm oil all over your body into the deeper parts of your tissues. It is a ritual practiced in Ayurveda.
So what is Ayurveda?
- the ancient Hindu art of medicine and of prolonging life.
Basically Ayurveda is an ancient system of habits, rituals, herbs etc., meant to keep you happy, healthy and looking young.
Every person is born with a Dosha Type.
The three types of doshas are: Pita, Vatta, and Kapha.
Each person is a unique blend of the three, but primarily has one that is stronger than the rest. They all require different habits, rituals and herbs to keep them balanced. A balanced dosha is necessary for health.
If you want to find out your DOSHA type and to learn more about them see here.
So why do people practice oil massage?
“The body of one who uses oil massage regularly does not become affected much, even if subjected to accidental injuries or strenuous work. By using oil massage daily, a person is endowed with pleasant touch, trimmed body parts, and becomes strong, charming and least affected by old age.|
“Abhyanga should be resorted to daily. It wards off old age, exertion and aggravation of vata.”
BASICALLY OIL MASSAGE KEEPS YOU LOOKING AND FEELING YOUR BEST.
- It helps to detox stuff that is stuck deep within the 7 layers of tissues and lubricates your joints and tendons.
- It hydrates the skin and makes the skin more elastic, therefore helping with any types of injuries and old age.
- It helps your hair grow long, luxurious and soft
- It strengthens the bodies tolerance
- It benefits sleep patterns
- It makes your body more trim and fit
- It stimulates Internal organs and increases circulation
- It reduces anxiety and depression
And the act of giving yourself a warm oil massage have you feeling happy, calm and loved. #selflove
So what type of oil do you use?
The one type of oil that can be used on all types of Doshas is Sesame oil.
You can also use an oil that is specific to your Dosha is your prefer. You can find that here.
Sesame oil is rich in linoleic acid, and has anti-bacterial, anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties. It releases a ton of skin impurities.
So how do you do an oil massage?
- Use about an ounce of sesame oil ( I just put it in a cup or container) and warm it in the microwave for about 30-45 seconds (you want it to be warm when you apply it, but not overly hot where you burn yourself)
- Take off all your clothes and find a quite spot where you can be alone for approx. 20 minutes
- Lay down a towel or mat on the floor so you dont get the oil elsewhere
- Start at your scalp and work your way down all the way to your feet. You should be doing circular motions towards your heart. You should try to do each body part for 5 minutes to get the full effects. Remember to include your ears as well, they have many pressure points in them
- Hop in the shower and gently use soap only on your “private parts”. You want to let the oil wash off on its own.
- Once you are out of the shower, gently pat down your skin and the remaining oil will soak in.
- Be sure you dont slip getting out!
I will usually sit in a quite meditation for 10 minutes after I have finished to let it all soak in.
You can choose to do this everyday, a couple times a week or once a week, but it is most effective daily (but whose got time for that)
Our skin is our biggest organ and by far the most neglected.
Give your body the love it needs and it will give it back.
Does anybody else love a good oil massage? What are your tips and tricks?